Kingdoms of Telgard Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 18, 2017, 05:07:02 AM
Home Website Help Login Register
News:
A dragon returns...

New members - please see the Registering Your Account topic in the Introduction to Telgard forum.

Kingdoms of Telgard  |  The Kingdoms  |  Lirynn  |  Lirynn Wilderness  |  Topic: Up and Away (Chancelor Aillil) « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] Send this topic Print
Author Topic: Up and Away (Chancelor Aillil)  (Read 16161 times)
Chancelor Aillil
Playing Character

« Reply #105 on: October 18, 2010, 08:51:04 AM »

Chancelor was shocked. Shocked that a place could be so, dark. Lea's announcement seemed to echo off every wall, but it was just a little hut, not a large cave. Well as far as he could figure out at least. He agreed with Lea though, the house did seem abandoned. The simple darkness of it all, almost confirmed it.

He knew Lea could see much better than he could, in fact, he barely saw anything at all. The few caws from Astax kept him from stubbing his toe on something when they entered. Chancelor was informed of some candles on the wall, and shrugged at Lea's outburst of disgust then her seemingly insincere apology. She was passionate, he knew that, and she sometimes had outbursts. If he was offended so easily, they would have never made it this far.

It came as a shock when Lea took out the tinderbox. An elf, with  a flame producing device! It was almost unheard of, and he gave her a sideways glance that produced some statement about it being okay to use when it wasn't used for a dangerous thing.

After a few of the candles were lit Chancelor was finally able to look around with ease. Quickly noting how clean it was for being abandoned. The books were in neat order, the table cleared, the cloth straight. The hanging hooks, though empty, looked worn. There was something wrong... there was no smell. No decay of wood or rot, no moth eaten clothing or cloth. This house couldn't be abandoned, or if it were, it was abandoned recently, very recently. Lea went in search of another room while Chancelor stood there trying to make sense, trying to feel out what was happening. After walking after Lea, since he knew that in a physical fight he would be at a great disadvantage. It was just a few steps that were taken before he was taken. I'm going to have to start taking the lead and letting someone else get caught. He was a little upset at this new situation. A sword in his back and a gruff voice commanding to know why they were here and what they were doing, and what they wanted.

Chancelor for one, just wanted a bed, and maybe some food. He was sure Lea wanted at least close to the same. Yet, the man had ordered her not to turn around, so Chancelor couldn't use any visual clues to try and help them out of the situation. He tempted the thought of magic, but he knew where that might get him, and he wanted to live for the time being. The man pushed the sword a little more and repeated his question. Chancelor's ears felt like they were filled with blood, but it was simply the adrenaline of the situation. "We are but humble travelers sire, we were looking for a place to set camp this night and found this home that looked abandoned from the outside. Now that we see it is not, we would humbly leave in search of some place else." Chancelor used his best servant voice, attempting to either persuade the man, or at the very least calm him enough so that Lea could persuade him to either help or let them go.

Of everything that has happened, we must press on.
GM Viora Noire
Council Member

« Reply #106 on: November 02, 2010, 05:23:47 AM »

For a long moment the tip of the blade simply remained frozen to the spot. Then, hardly noticeable, it moved away slightly from Chancelor's back. Another moment passed, then Chancelor could feel the chill of a breeze produced as the blade moved back and forth in a safe distance from his back. Then he suddenly heard the most surprising, rumpling sound followed by the sound of a blade being sheathed. Whoever was behind him was laughing, deep-throatedly, laughing as if Chancelor had just told the most exquisite, entertaining joke. Chancelor's eyes, in the meantime, were still set on Lea's back which remained, despite the seeming comical relief of the situation, remained unmoving and cautious.

Long moments passed as the man roared his laughter. Then, slowly, it receded into hiccup-like, giggling sounds. "Dargotten!" the man cried out eventually. "You sure gave me a fright. I apologise for the rude welcome, but a man has to take care of himself in these wilds. I thought you were burglars, or worse. Now I see, you are not at all looking the criminal type." A massive hand fell down on Chancelor's shoulder and squeezed it. "No, not at all the dangerous type you are," the man giggled. "And Entol's not the man to drive out travellors in the middle of the night. Please, be my guests. Have a meal with me, rest for a night and continue your journey tomorrow and refreshed." With these words, Chancelor's shoulder was released and he was free again to turn and move as he pleased. Lea, in the meantime, had spun around in a whirl of red hair, a broad smile on her face.

"A pleasure to meet you, Entol, and I thank you for your offer. We are indeed weary, and would appreciate a warm meal and fire to rest our bones. As for the rather rude welcome," she chuckled, "you surely gave us a fright. But we understand, you can never be too cautious." She crossed the distance between herself and Entol in two swift, graceful steps, stretching out her hand to properly greet the man. "My name is Lea, and my friend here goes by the name of Chancelor. As he said already, we are just passing through -- and both neither the criminal nor the dangerous type." She smiled winningly, and Entol chuckled again as they shook hands.

Now that Chancelor could see the man rather than just feel the tip of his blade -- which was, to be sure, much more pleasing after all -- he could make out a very tall, very muscular human. If Chancelor wanted to look into the stranger's eyes, he had to tilt back his head -- not that Entol's face was a sight that one had to behold at all cost. In fact, the man looked very much like what he probably was: a hunter, a man living in the wilds of Lirynn, skilled in the arts of survival and getting by. His face was rather crude and unattractive. His skin was leathery and tanned from uncounted hours outdoors. His hair was a rather untelling brown, long, and wrapped into a ponytail. His face was without hair, albeit not exactly neatly shaven. There were fine lines around his eyes, and more prominent lines around his mouth, suggesting what Chancelor had already guessed: Entol was a man who liked to laugh.

Thus the moments passed in pleasant joking and chattering between Entol and Lea, when suddenly there was a hesitant knock on the door and a slightly timid, yet delicate voice was heard: "Is it safe, father? Can I come in now?" Entol slapped his forehead. "There I am chit-chatting while my little one is freezing and probably scared outside!" he exclaimed and then, into the direction of the door, shouted: "Yes, honey, all is good. We are having guests for dinner!"

Once more the door to the hut swung open, and in came a brown-haird, small and fragile looking girl. She smiled timidly at Chancelor, then at Lea, then at Chancelor again. She looked rather delicate and was, undoubtedly, pretty in a pale, studious way. "Hello," she mumbled a little shyly. "I am Yasmin. Very pleased to meet you." "That's my daughter," Entol explained unnecessarily, but full of pride. "I would be lost without her. She is helping me a great deal, even though she has a tendency of getting stuck in her books," he pointed towards the bookshelves. "Rather the studious type, she is." He smiled gently and patted Yasmin's head, ruffling her head, while she blushed without obvious reason. "Can you get a pot on the fireplace, sweetheart? I will get the rabbits in the meantime." Yasmin nodded and went to work, and Entol added: "As for you two, please make yourself at home. If you need anything, just give us a shout." He grinned and left the hut, only to return with a fat rabbit -- supposedly meant for dinner -- a moment later. Lea wrinkled her nose slightly, but kept her tongue, and soon later the little company was getting comfortable at the wooden table, a selection of water and watery ale in front of them for drinks, a rabbit stew bubbling on the fire-place, filling the hut with delicious scents.

Thus time passed by slowly, warmth seeping into Chancelor's tired bones, inconsequential conversation filling the air. It did not take to long and Yasmin, obviously used to do the cooking, had prepared a stew of rabbit meat and vegetables, that looked and smelled delicious. She offered it first to Lea who, politely shaking her head, declined with the remark that she was vegetarian but very much appreciated the offer, and that she would be satisfied with her own provisions. "Would you like some?" Yasmin then asked Chancelor with a little, timid smile on her face. If he responded yes she would fill a bowl for him, if not she would move on to fill a bowl for herself and her father instead. Thus, the small company was soon supplied with food and drink, when Entol addressed Chancelor: "You do not happen to be a scholar, do you? Because my girl here might be interested in learning from you, if you can teach her something." Yasmin blushed again, but added shyly: "Yes, indeed. Astrology, particularly. I am ever so undecided about certain constellations. Sometimes books simply are not sufficient, but clearly there is no school so far off the cities." She smiled at Chancelor, clearly hoping for a positive reply.

Chancelor Aillil
Playing Character

« Reply #107 on: November 03, 2010, 02:48:41 PM »

Chancelor was astounded. It was... it worked. He almost jumped for joy when the weapon was sheathed, and again almost cringed when he saw the size of the man before him. Chancelor was not small by any means, but he wasn't big, and the man before him was large to the extent of the word. At least in Chancelor's opinion.

As Lea worked her charm, and Chancelor chuckled at being dangerous thinking that if the man only knew what Chancelor was capable of he would have killed them on the spot. The man was a laugher, that much was very clear to Chancelor when he looked up and saw his face. The laugh he gave before, apparently, had been genuine. There was a good sense of humor, or he was easily amused. Either way, Chancelor and Lea weren't dying today. Not yet at least.

Entol still hadn't explained the multiple settings. Fortunately there was a knock on the door that reminded him that his daughter was outside. This made Chancelor a bit nervous. A man his size, having brought up a daughter, yet, Chancelor was surprised and mildly pleased when a smaller petite girl, with a mousy voice entered the hovel. There was small talk, and Chancelor admired the books from afar as the girl made the dinner. It was a wonderful stew, and filled him up marvelously. Then there was questions on books. This fully invigorated the tired man from his near slumber.

Chancelor did know quite a bit about astrology. In fact it was, now, his second favorite subject. Magic being the first which didn't count in most circles of knowledge. He nodded his head slowly. "Actually, I do know a bit about constellations, though it may be something you have already read in any one of your books. They would simply be a refresher for you." He played as modest as he could. His master had written a book or two on constellations and challenged Chancelor to find any flaws or alternate theories that could be ascertained from the books.

GM Viora Noire
Council Member

« Reply #108 on: November 16, 2010, 09:13:28 AM »

Yasmin's eyes lightened at Chancelor's reply that, indeed, he knew something about the subject of astrology. For a moment, all her shyness was seemingly forgotten, cancelled out by the lure of academic endeavour.  A smile settled on her face, her cheeks were flushed in excitement, and before anybody even had time for a reply she had literally jumped to her feet and scurried away, only to return moments later laden with books. With a gesture of near reverance she placed them on the table, and began to search for something in them, all the while mumbling to herself in a tiny voice that nobody could possibgly understand. Her fingers turned the pages swiftly, and her eyes -- which, brigthened by her joy shone in a charming shade of a pale blue -- rapidly scanned the lines to find what she was looking for. It was obvious to Chancelor that she knew her books, rather well at that, and was simply searching for a certain passage.

"Ah, there we go!" Entol chuckled. "Whenever she sees a chance to talk about those things, she is all over it." He patted Yasmin's hair affectionately while she, seemingly not noticing her father's attention, kept her eyes glued to the books. "Books, books, books. Reading, reading, reading. All that matters to Telgard, all that matters at all," Entol said, not even attempting to veil the sarcasm in his voice. Lea nodded and rolled her eyes, stating once again that for her, indeed, there was no way to remain inside and study. Far too eventless. Boring. Dull.

Yasmin was not disturbed by either statement, in fact Chancelor doubted she even noticed -- and if she did, she clearly did not care in the least. Finally, she found what she had been looking for and passed the open paged to Chancelor. Swiftly, he skimmed it and realised that it was a description of common constellations typical for the seasons, some notes on the history thereof, a description of the single stars as well as one or two -- as far as Chancelor could tell -- useless hints at how to find them. If he turned the page he would find some illustrations that made little sense, as the quality of the drawings was bad and -- judging from the picture of a constellation Chancelor had observed himself countless times -- the proportions were off, which made it rather difficult to notice the constellation.

"This is my problem," Yasmin explained excitedly. "I can make sense of the fact that there are these constellation, else there would not be a book on them, right?'" She did not wait for a reply, however, but continued right away. "But whenever I head out and try to find them on the sky, I cannot find them. It is frustrating, to say the least. Maddening is actually far more like it. I've been trying and trying, and it never seems to work. So," she suddenly seemed to remember that this directness was not really the way she acted usually and she blushed deeply as she reverted into the shyness Chancelor had observed earlier instantly -- "So, I was hoping that maybe you could show me? There must be something wrong with my brain, I simply cannot...find them." She looked genuinely sad and slightly ashamed as she uttered the words. "Do you think you could show me? That is, if father has no objections for going out at this time, that is. We won't be far?" she asked, flashing a hopeful smile to first Chancelor, then Entol. Entol once more patted her hair and said: "No, of course I do not mind, sweetheart. That is, if Chancelor here does not mind to satisfy your curiosity. After all, our guests must be tired after travelling all day, and it would be impolite to force him, wouldn't i?" Yasmin blushed even more deeply, which was quite a feat to achieve, and nodded in agreement. "So, if you are not too tired, Chancelor, would you please show me?" She smiled at Chancelor with a pleading look in her eyes that would have melted a heart of stone.

Chancelor Aillil
Playing Character

« Reply #109 on: December 08, 2010, 04:57:48 PM »

(OOC: OMG!! I just checked today just because, I never got the email saying you posted! Sorry!)

Chancelor smiled. This girl knew her books. Simply by looking at her as she swept through the pages, he could tell she was looking for a particular one. Yet, as she passed over the others, there was a look of longing, of remembrance. Maybe of something she learned, something that made her think. Chancelor did not know, but figured that it is what he looked like when reading something new, or something that increased the knowledge that he already had.

The chuckle and murmur of the father was lost on both Chancelor and the girl. The book was open, and someone was searching for something in particular. There would be very little, and most likely nothing, that could break their concentration. Thus the reason she was able to find the particular outline she was searching for. It looked like a normal, rotation cycle for the seasons, and a bit of history to go with it. The history was suggestive on one or two stars that seemed to move independently of the rest. A little smile crossed his lips at this. He had been suspecting other worlds, but someone else actually noticing the same thing was exciting.

Flipping the page to see if there was any more information, he met a hideous drawing of a constellation. He knew what it was, but it was horribly misshapen, and if someone were looking for it, from this perspective, they would never find it. It was at this time Yasmin spoke up about knowing about the stars, and constellations, but not being able to ever find them. He smirked lightly, and said to himself that it was because of whomever drew these. Yet, then she stepped outside of her comfort zone and forthrightly, asked for him to show her.

Her look of shame made his a little sad. It was not her, anyone could find the stars, but using these drawings, even Chancelor had issues. It was her father that took up for Chancelor's tiredness, and indeed, his body said no. In fact, it screamed it so loudly, that the blood rushed to his ears. Yet, as an academic, he could not turn down someone willing to learn from their, or others, mistakes. Chancelor smiled, without giving an answer, and reached for his pack pulling out a decent sized volume. These were the constellations that he had observed at his master's home, and on his own trekking on this journey with Lea. He opened the book to the same constellation that Yasmin was showing him. "This is your problem." He pointed out the difference in the shape, and the proportions. "None of the drawings I've seen in your book are correct."

Standing up, Chancelor pushed in his chair and held out his hand to Yasmin. "Sir, with your permission, and given that it is safe, I would like to show your daughter the way stars are supposed to be looked at." An astounding warmth of excitement ran through Chancelor's body. He had been alone with Lea for quite a while, and had come to dream of loving her, but it was simply because she was, literally, his savior most days. This time, he was going to be alone with a woman, not an elf, and they shared a common interest. Something that they both loved, and it excited him.

GM Viora Noire
Council Member

« Reply #110 on: January 31, 2011, 07:03:08 AM »

Entol smiled and nodded at Chancelor's request. "It is as safe here as anywhere," he said and winked. "We are too far off from civilisation to be afraid of people -- picture my surprise when I saw you in here!" another wink followed, "and too close to civilisation to be concerned about any beasts. It is, truly, a good place to live!" Lea nodded knowingly and heartily agreed with what Entol had said, and almost immediately engaged him in a conversation about the advantages of living in the wilds as opposed to living in cities. Chancelor, however, did not get a chance to listen to the conversation for long, as Yasmin, eager to tap into Chancelor's knowledge, grasped his hand hestitantly, and, even more hesitantly, dragged him out of the hut to look at the nightly sky.

Outside, the air was fragrant and cool, and filled with the nightly humming and buzzing Chancelor had grown so familiar with during the last few days. It was dark, of course, but the nightsky appeared to be cloudless and clear. Against the inky blackness of the sky, countless stars were sparkling as if competing for the attention of the two humans wandering leisurely underneath this magnificent spectacle. They did not have to walk long, and effortlessly found a spot to observe the stars without having their view disturbed by the ever-present trees surrounding them.

Soon enough, Yasmin and Chancelor settled on the cool, dewy ground, and Chancelor began showing the constellations he remembered to Yasmin, pointing out marks of orientation, carefully naming one star after the other. Yasmin, in the meantime, proved to be a fast and attentive learner. Never did she interrupt Chancelor's explanations, but she always made sure to follow his directions and repeat what had been said. Surrounded by nothing but serenity and nightly peace, time flowed effortlessly and Chancelor felt that despite his understandable exhaustion the academic endeavour rekindled his spirits. It was, perhaps, not only the knowledge and passing thereof that seemed to sweep away all tiredness. It soon turned out that Yasmin, pale and glowing in the moonlight with her eyes shining eagerly for knowledge, was indeed lovely and attentive company once she overstepped her initial shyness. Thus, moments passed and merged into minutes, and Chancelor was rather sure that copious amounts of minutes had passed when finally his physical demands made it clear that his intellectual eagerness could not keep him awake for much longer. Involuntarily he yawned and Yasmin, suddenly reminded that she was keeping her teacher awake, awkwardly apologised for keeping him awake so long and suggested that it was certainly time to go back and get some sleep.

Chancelor, albeit perhaps certain factors would have compelled him to remain in the lovely night for a little while longer, could not help but agree to this suggestion. So the two of them got up, shook the grass out of their clothes and turned towards the hut when Chancelor suddenly noticed that surrounding them there were several shadows, like the ones of large birds but not quite, hanging from the trees surrounding them like ripe fruit. Surprised he pointed the shadows out to Yasmin, wondering what kind of strange birds they were. Yasmin wrinkled her nose as she focussed on the shadows for a moment. "Dargotten, it's bats!" she finally exclaimed. "They are not native to this region, and as far as I know they usually prefer caves to the open forest, I wonder what they...." she never finished her sentence. As if suddenly awoken by her voice, the shadows became alive and began to move uneasily on the branches of the trees, which was a macabre spectacles as they were hanging upside down. More eerily, however, a multitude of eyes suddenly popped open in almost perfect unison to glare at the two humans below. The eyes shone in what appeared to be a supernatural light, a yellowish, evil glint that was awfully sinister and intelligent at the same time. "Let us leave,'" Chancelor heared the almost inaudible whisper mouthed by Yasmin, and certainly had no objections to escape the spooky spectacle surrounding them. Yasmin's hand slipped into his again, and carefully the two of them began to move towards the hut, towards safety, one step, then another, and another --

Suddenly, the shifting, tentative movements of the bats stopped, and, once more as if directed by an invisible conductor, the bats ascended towards the nightly sky. The moment of relief was short-lived, however, as only a split second after an infernal sound arose from the bats. It was a sort of cackling, a screeching, a mockery of human laughter and it chilled Chancelor to the bone. Then, without a warning, Chancelor saw two or three malevolently glowing eyes drop from the sky like falling stars and racing towards them at an insane speed. In only one instant Chancelor realised that the bats were evil, truly evil, and unnatural -- and that they, without a doubt, were going to attack him and Yasmin.

"RUN!" Chancelor was not sure if it was his own screeching, slightly panicked voice or Yasmin's, but it did not matter at that moment. They began running, every bit of exhaustion washed away by an enormous rush of adrenaline and the naked will to survive. They ran, stumbled, and ran faster as the bats around them ascended towards the nightly sky, only to screechingly fall down on them like heavy, unnaturally huge grains of hail, bumping into them, trying to hold on to them with their tiny claws, attempting to bite through their clothing with their tiny, yet sharp teeth. Chancelor did not know how many bats he knocked of either his own clothes or Yasmin's, and he did not know how many painful bumps he received as they ran, but neither did it matter. They just had to keep running, and run for their life they did. Yasmin slipped and, out of an instinct, Chancelor pulled her up without even stopping, surprising himself with the force he was able to muster and they continued running through a hailstorm of attacking bats until finally, through the blackness of the night and fleshy wings, through the cackling and laughter of the bats, the hut appeared, and in it a centre of light through which the two of them entered in a last, desperate effort to reach safety.

The door was thrown shut, and even through his own panting Chancelor could here a knocking sound, like ripe acorns falling from a tree and relentlessly on a roof. Bump. Bumpbumpbump. It took him a moment to realise that the sound he heard was the bats attempting to follow them through the now closed doors, relentless in their ferocity, their will unbent with regards to the pursuit of their pray. It took endless moments until the terrible knocking subsided.

"They must be gone," Entol muttered, his face pale and his arms wrapped tightly around his daughter. "They are not," Lea said flatly, peering out through a gap between the blinds. "They are sitting outside. Dargoten, they are staring at us. Have you seen their eyes? I have never seen something like this before --" "What in Telgard IS that?" Entol interrupted. Yasmin made a choked sound and Chancelor realised that she was suppressing a sob. Entol noticed that, too, and tried to comfort her. "It is fine, pumpkin, you are safe in here, they cannot get inside." Yasmin pressed her lips together and swallowed hard, but nodded her head. "They cannot get in," she repeated. "They cannot possibly get in." Chancelor felt how finally the pain in his lungs subsided and how the relief to be safe, at least for the moment, washed over his whole body. "These things are creeping me out," Lea muttered, still glued to her peeping hole. "They are just sitting there and watching, as if they were waiting for something. As if they were waiting for us to come out." Suddenly, she went pale and turned around to face the rest of her companions. "And what if that is exactly what they are doing? Waiting for us to come out? What do we do if those things don't go away?" She bit her lip as a momentary silence met this chilling observation.

Chancelor Aillil
Playing Character

« Reply #111 on: May 27, 2011, 02:54:34 PM »

It was funny how the first person he thought of was not Lea and her safety, yet Yasmin. He had not known her but for a moment, and somehow, her being safe was a priority. It was not logical, there was nothing he could ever hope to find in a book about why he felt such a way, but he did. Chancelor wanted to make sure, and keep Yasmin safe and unharmed. It was the only thought in their mad dash back to the cabin. The cabin! His thought process changed in an instant, he could feel his library shifting unconsciously rearranging itself like a defensive mechanism. Not big changes. They were all so very subtly done, yet he could feel it now, he had learned to feel it.

Inside, and pressing his hands to his chest, Chancelor felt like his heart would burst through and start beating on the floor. He wondered, just for a moment, if he would live long enough to watch if it actually happened. Even in danger there was a curiosity that he could not stamp out. Though, as the thumping continued, he noticed he could no longer feel his heart, and he could breathe properly once again. Yet, the thumping still reigned on, overpowering any thought he tried to dredge up. It was maddening.

As loud as it was, the silence was worse. It was abrupt, it was ominous, it was waiting. Not even the crickets, who seemed so lively while he and Yasmin were studying the stars, would dare to make a sound. It was then Lea took her wits and peeped outside. Then she said it. Waiting. For what? Or for whom? It was anyone's guess. Lea's was probably most accurate though. Entol was attempting to ease Yasmin's fears, assuring her that they were safe. Yasmin tried to console herself repeating that the bats could not possibly get in. Chancelor imagined Lea cursing the bats with her mind. Just rambling out obscenities . Chancelor on the other hand, he was curious. Cautious yes, but since his interaction with the rats and Ajax, he was curious about these bats. Bats don't sit, they hang, they don't wait, they fly. There was either something controlling them, or a magic at work that he knew nothing of. Not that he knew anything of magic per say, but he knew  few things were not normal, and everything else was just a guess until proof was gathered.

He crept up to Lea and whispered, "I could attempt contact...." He let his voice trail off. He figured she knew what he meant and how dangerous it would be, but he figured, who better to deal with an animal than he. Besides there was a chance that this would be the only way out. For all of them.

GM Viora Noire
Council Member

« Reply #112 on: August 16, 2011, 02:25:34 AM »

OOC: I am really sorry I once more forgot to post in a timely manner. Life has a tendency to get on top of me and then passes by so quickly that I lose track of how long it really has been since I posted. I'm honestly sorry for that, and I am trying...please feel free to just drop me a note when I go missing, it will remind me that there are posts to write (which I really enjoy doing anyway) and stop me from letting things slide! Anyway, back to the story!

IC:

Lea's eyes widened upon Chancelor's suggestion. "I am not sure this is a good idea," she muttered, weighing her head from side to side. "It's dangerous. And these things are....not natural. Not natural  at all. What if you get lost? What if --" "What if what?" Entol  chimed in. His eyes were dark, overshadowed by worry, a hint of fear and an almost chilly resolve that he would not allow anything bad to reach his daughter. "Nothing, nothing," Lea replied. "We were just talking about how these...things out there are not natural. It is like they are -- possessed by something. Why would they attack us? And why would they act like they do? It's like a bad dream, that's what it is." Entol nodded his assent. "Only that it is not a bad dream. What if it is a hallucination? I know there are mushrooms in this wilderness that have this effect. Perhaps we have eaten some of them without knowing and are now --" Entol was interrupted by Yasmin, who in a calm, if strained voice pointed out the various scratches she and Chancelor had  carried away from the attack. "This is real," she stated with carefully veiled fear in her voice. "We cannot be possibly hallucinating that."

Once more a strange silence settled over the room. Obviously disconcerted by simply sitting around and doing nothing, Lea once more briskly stepped to the window to peek outside. "There's even more now," she observed almost disbelievingly. "How's that possible?" She stepped aside to let the others have a look outside as well. Yasmin simply shook her head, and Entol stepped forward and turned around, his face pale and wrinkled with worry. If Chancelor chose to have a look outside, he would have no choice but to agree with Lea: since he had last observed their surroundings, even more bats had gathered around the hut. The trees were heavy with bats, sitting on the branches like dark, overripe fruit. They were sitting so close to each other that their bodies were touching, that at times it appeared as if there were not only bats next to bats, but also bats on top of bats. The trees were black with the eery, unnatural animals. Even worse, from each dark body gloomed a pair of piercing, yellowish, ghastly eyes. These eyes, vaguely intelligent and enchanting in a terrifying way, seemed to catch Chancelor's glance in theirs, unwilling to let even this portion of their victim go again. Abruptly, Chancelor turned around again.

"So what do we do?" Entol renewed the futile discussion. Lea had just opened her mouth to reply, when suddenly there was a shrill cry outside, a sound not entirely animal-like, but also not like a sound ever heard from a humanoid being. The shriek was followed by a multitude of others, until all that could be heard was a terrible cacophony of noise. Yasmin pressed her hands to her ears, and the rest of the people trapped within the hut would have probably done the same, had the strange concert not ended as suddenly as it had begun. There was no time for relief, however, for as soon as as the noise had ended it was replaced by another, perhaps even more unsettling one. The bats, unable to reach their prey, began attacking the protective walls of the hut. Frenzied, they flew and bumped against the walls, the door, every bit of surface they could get. Whereas the body of one bat would not have made an impact at all, the bodies of so many did. In split seconds, the walls were shaking under the weight of the attacking bats. The bats, in the meantime, were not unphased by their approach. Many dropped down, unconscious or dead, after hitting the solid walls, but there were always more to replace the ones lost.

"Can they get in?" Yasmin whispered.
"I don't think so," Entol replied.
"If they keep up like this? Maybe." Lea stated dryly, then suddenly a glimmer of resolve flitted over her face.
"Entol, you take Yasmin and -- take her somewhere safer. Hide somewhere, a cupboard, something solid. If they get in, they will be in here first. Maybe Chancelor and I can get rid of them. We have faced some dangers, and we will face this one just as well."
"But, I can fight too!" Entol insisted, a grim expression on his face. "Yasmin shall hide, and I will support you in every way I can. This is my battle as well as yours."
"But Yasmin needs you to protect her, in case these things do manage to get behind us," Lea said very calmly. For a moment multiple conflicting emotions were playing on Entol's face, but eventually he nodded grimly, took Yasmin's hand and said: "Be careful. Whatever this is, it is not natural. If you need me, shout -- and I will stand my ground with you."

With these words, Yasmin and Entol exited into the back room where -- as Chancelor was hoping -- they would be more safely concealed from the raging bats. As soon as they had left the room, Lea looked at Chancelor. "A strange journey this is, my friend. We might not have another choice than...attempting contact. You know how dangerous it is, however. If you do not want to risk it, we fight. Or I fight, and you hide and hope that I can scare them away. I would not blame you, for these forces are nothing to be tempered with. If you want to try, however, I believe it should be soon. I am not sure if these walls will hold, or for how long. And I'd rather not find out what happens if they manage to get in."

Chancelor Aillil
Playing Character

« Reply #113 on: August 17, 2011, 08:54:01 AM »

Chancelorís curiosity got the better of him. Peeking outside the window, indeed, bats upon bats upon, what seemed to be more bats, or were those the trees? There was nothing there that wasnít covered. The only reason they could see out was because the cottage was in a clearing and the moon was full and bright that night. Although, it would have been much easier to stomach complete darkness than it was to possibly deal with the glowing yellow eyes and plethora of bodies that made up the new ground and trees and the awkward hanging, over ripe black fruit. No, those were bats too. Sighing dryly, and with considerable effort, Chancelor drew his gaze away and paused; he looked over Lea and rested on the panicked face of Yasmin. His only thought was of saving them.

Entol again, started asking on what could be done. Chancelor was by no means a physical combatant but had to wonder if all physical men were like this. Did they all think everything could be won with brute strength and force? Chancelor understood the force of will, and without having physical prowess, he knew that will, over everything else, was a force to be reckoned with.

Thatís when the screech sounded, and before he could cover his ears, the screech ended. That was not the sound of a bat, or of a thousand bats, as the screech was echoed by the multitude. The silence that followed was even worse than the screech. Chancelor guessed that it was some kind of a command, but for what, he was not sure. Then they all found out at once. It was an attack command. First there were little thumps here and there, and then it sounded as if the walls and roof were being berated by large rocks. A few could be spied between cracks in slats that had fallen dead or unconscious, yet still more came. It was as if two rose up for every one that fell.

Chancelor was only halfway listening as the other three talked over whether or not the bats would be able to get it. Heíd read enough of architecture to know that this was a sturdy home, but it would undoubtedly fall. A small chuckle escaped his lips as Entol was determined to fight. Chancelor already knew his best form of combat and would use it whether or not Lea complied with his actions. It wasnít until Entol had obviously left and Lea spoke directly to him that Chancelor came out of his thoughts. He had quickly rearranged his mental library, something that took concentration, but now did not take an overwhelming toll on his body. He smiled as Lea offered him a way out, but also knew the best way to win was through reaching the bats directly. He pulled his book out of his pack and made a quick mental call to Ajax, wherever the crow may be, he was a welcome companion and a source of inner strength to the young magic user.

Quill in hand, Chancelor sat down and visualized the bats. He imagined the largest bat and began to draw. It was more of an exaggerated scribble, but still the constant repetitive movement was his way of reaching out for things unknown. His only hope was to contact the leader of the bat horde, or find a way to get in touch with whoever was controlling them.

GM Viora Noire
Council Member

« Reply #114 on: November 14, 2011, 07:45:49 AM »

It was hard for Chancelor at first to keep his focus for the ceaseless knocks and sounds created by the endless flow of bodies crashing against the walls was indeed hard to fade out. Several times Chancelor found himself startled, his focus entirely lost when a particularly violent blow made the door shiver in its frame, or when one of the bats made a sudden, pained sound as it crashed against the shutters. Chancelor was, however, determined and ready to complete his undertaking. Therefore, he lost neither courage nor will as his pen kept drawing the lines and his mind kept venturing outside, in search for the unknown, in search for the leader.

Chancelor did not know how long he sat there, his hand constantly scribbling and his mind constantly searching. It felt to him, however, as if the almost overwhelming sounds from outside the hut began to slowly fade away as his concentration deepened. Silence began to reign his mind, a welcome silence that deepend gradually as Chancelor became unaware of his whereabouts, his position on the floor, his hand that was still tracing the same lines, a coldness creeping into his bones from the floor of the hut. The silence was not threatening as it was not the kind that suggested something looming in the dark. It felt more like a place of peace, a serene centre inside Chancelor's own body. Perhaps it was the home of his mind, or even his sould -- Chancelor did not know, nor did it seem to be of relevance at that time.

The young man revelled in this peaceful silence for a while before his mind, quite without his own conscious doing, began to expand as if it were remembering the former command. The leader. Find the leader. Find their leader. Find their leader and stop them. Chancelor was not sure what he could do to command his will into the right direction, and he was not aware of what exactly he was looking for. His hand kept drawing the picture of the bats' leader, and suddenly Chancelor felt an incredible pull into a certain direction, a pull that he could not -- and would not, given the nature of his undertaking -- resist. Therefore, he followed what was beckoning his mind, raced towards the source of the pull -- and suddenly was plunged into a nightmare of fevered frenzy, confusion, and pain. As if he had tapped into the thoughts of the multitude outside, Chancelor could feel it all: every forceful bump against the walls of the hut, the resulting pain, the inescapable urge to get inside and kill. He felt the bloodlust, the unspeakable frenzy, the urge to hurt something. In between it all, however, he felt confusion. He felt that what was happening to him -- or rather the bats -- was unnatural. He felt that he did not wish to keep attacking at the cost of his own life or well-being...and yet, the irresistable command to keep going, to hurt and destroy everything living and breathing in that hut.

For a while Chancelor was sucked into the maelstroem of it all. He was nothing but a frenzied mind alongside other frenzied minds. He was teeth and claws and urge, he was a bat on the hunt, a bat attempting to get to....himself? The contradiction stuck in Chancelor's educated brain and nagged at it. It was not possible. He was not a bat. He was not frenzied. It was just in his mind. The welcome picture of his mental library flitted through his thoughts, flickered, wavered. Vanished and came into sight again. Instinctively Chancelor clung to it. His anchor against insanity. His library. His own will. His.

With endless efforts Chancelor managed to shut out the bloodhirst, the confusion and the frenzy. Slowly it ebbed away, still violently washing against the protected shores of his mind, but incapable of getting inside. Chancelor had become a spectator where he had been a participant before. He was not free to explore without being drowned under the weight of a myriad of frenzied animal minds. Chancelor felt his way around, still set on finding the leader of the bloodlusty crowd. He was beginning to doubt his ability to find the first of the many, when suddenly he sense something different. Something calmer. Frenzied still, but slightly more sentient. Something looming large in the shadows, behind the bountiful bodes raging against the safety of the hut. Something watching. Something commanding. The leader, the leader, this must be the leader! Towards him, towards him! Chancelor's mind reached out in an attempt to make contact. Indeed, for a brief moment, his mind appeared to touch the mind of the leader bat. Not too gently, rather helter-skelter, his mind invaded the mind of the bat. Chancelor looked closely. Something did not feel right. It was as if behind the bat's consciousness there was another one. It was like a presence he could only see from the corner of his eyes, something that would vanish as soon as he fixed his gaze upon it. The bat's mind itself, however, was muddled and confused. It was entangled into something that could only be described as unnatural. Something that was causing the bat great pain, a pain that threw the bat into a wild frenzy on the one hand, and a convulsing urge to simply escape what was keeping it in thrall. Indeed, there was something tightly wrapped around the bat's mind. Like a mental leash, it wound itself around every instinct, every thought and action of the animal. It pained the bat, of so much Chancelor was sure, but at the same time, no matter how much the bat rebelled against its binds it could not shake them off.

Behind it all, the movement of a third mind. A consciousness taking delight in the control, the power being exerted over the animal. A glee born from sadistic delight in the confusion, the pain, the fear the enslaved army of bats was causing to the two-legged creatures inside this fallible fortress. Chancelor was not sure if the third mind had sensed him yet, but he was certain that the leader bat was not capable of sensing anything but confusion, pain and enslavement. Maybe if he could sever the tie binding the two beings together, sever the tie that allowed the third entity to control the leader bat and, somehow, through it the rest of the bloodlusty horde? How could such a fealt be accomplished, however? Chancelor was contemplating his options when suddenly he felt a fourth, familiar mind next to his. Astax had answered his call, and even though Chancelor could not ask his feathery companion for a solution to the problem of these entangled minds, a wave of comfort washed through him. Feelings of loyalty came to Chancelor's mind. The feeling of having a friend who had your back next to you was there. A non-verbal promise for support, Astax' presence was both welcome and grounding. Thus, Chancelor had an unlikely ally in an unlikely battle. Far away from being aware of his phyiscal body and its actions Chancelor took a deep mental breath as he attempted to decide upon his course of action.

Chancelor Aillil
Playing Character

« Reply #115 on: December 05, 2011, 04:49:38 PM »

Amid the turmoil and trouble, the confusion reigned supreme. Was there truly anything that could be done to save himself and those there with him? What would the humble woodsman and his beautiful daughter think of his strange behavior? These questions, and others that Chancelor himself did not allow himself to dwell upon, drifted away as he began to draw a simplistic bat figure in his book.

His form of concentration allowed for him to remember the feelings later if needed. At least that's how it had worked with Astax, and he had no reason to believe differently, but right now, this chaos...

It consumed him, he felt the pain, his body ached against the feeble, yet stalwart door. The lust to destroy his own body consumed him, yet his mind rejected the thought for the simple inert command of self preservation. He fought inwardly, mentally against these forces for a time that felt like an eternity and yet, suddenly he found his library.

The library, it flashed into his mind and he was safe, but not quite, as the chaos was meant to control, and it was good at it. The library flitted by again, and this time Chancelor was strong enough to keep hold of it. He watched searchingly, in a half desperate measure, the pandemonium that was occurring at its edges. He sighed faintly. Whether he did it physically, or mentally, he would never know, it was all the same to him when he was like this.

He found a slight pull, a power, that seemed to be controlling the beasts surrounding him, and it is for this that he made his way. Chancelor, at length, or in no time at all, feeling that time had no place here, found the bat in charge. It was slightly larger, it had a "greater good" in mind, but for now, there was simply chaos, pain and an unnatural connection to something else that should not be there. The bat knew chaos, the bat knew pain. This new connection was not part of what it was. The bat was confused and wanted to stop what it was doing, but could not shake off the leash that had bound it no matter how hard it tried.

Chancelor took note and attempted to look. It was a futile search. The bat was bound in every conceivable way to this unnatural power, this third mind that had somehow reached out to it. Chancelor was positive that it had not found him yet, because even when he was looking for this controller, Chancelor could only glimpse the leash out of the corner of his eyes. He continued finding where the tie was strongest, but it seemed like the third mind and that of the bat's were one and the same.

Frustration set in. Was it even possible to free the bat? If so, would they stop attacking, or simply continue? Then he would be useless, having wasted all his energy on this foolhardy attempt, but what else could he have done? It was then he felt a familiar, friendly tap on his mind. Astax... The bird had answered his original call, and now, even if the bird could not intervene, it was a helpful reminder, it was a way back to the library that was his rock.

Chancelor sighed. This was all or nothing, and if he was going to die, it would be protecting these people, and repaying Lea for every time she had rescued him.

Reaching out, he stepped away, out of his library. Chancelor decided that if Astax could keep him sane, all he had to do was sever anything that the bat deemed unnatural. It was the only thing he could think of, it was this he attempted.

GM Viora Noire
Council Member

« Reply #116 on: December 27, 2011, 03:09:38 AM »

The first step out of the safe confines of his mental library was unsettling. A chill crept up Chancelor's spine, and for yet another terrible moment the chaos raging in the bat's mind threatened to consume him. This time, however, the young man was not alone, and only moments later he felt a familiar weight on his shoulder, weighing him down, grounding him, binding him to the part of his mind that was intimately sane and his. Thus strengthened, his goal in mind, Chancelor stepped forward into the unknown.

At first it seemed to him that he was stepping further and further into a thickening, strangely fluid darkness. Severing anything unnatural that was binding the bat seemed to be an almost impossible task as everything within the bat's mind appeared to be unnatural, a mad compound consisting only of rage and pain and swirling, unceasing yet non-verbal thoughts. What should he look for? What tie to sever, how to break the insane bond that had taken hold of the confused animal? Chancelor looked around, attempted to find a clue when suddenly the weight on his shoulder lifted and Astax, black as the night surrounding him but for some impossible reason still visible, ascended into the wafting blackness only to swoop down again a split second later, a furious shriek involuntarily escaping the raven's throat. It was then that without explanation the darkness was suddenly lifted and replaced by dim, yellowish twilight. Surrounding him, Chancelor could make out things that looked like black, gooey tree roots. They were twitching, as if possessed by an unnatural heartbeat, twisting like the tentacles of a giant octopus searching for prey. Astax, a small, dark fluttering spot on one of them, was hacking away at on of the roots, which was writhing under the attack in an attempt to escape the sharpness of the beak. A sudden knowledge seized Chancelor's mind. The roots, for whatever reason he was seeing them, were the shackles keeping the bat in thrall. Yet, there were so many of them, how could he possibly sever them all?

Chancelor focussed and allowed his glance to wander for a moment. It was only then that he made out a dimmed shimmer of light hidden under  particularly dense nest of roots. Again, a sudden certainty came over Chancelor. This spot, he felt strangely confident, was the place to begin, and even if it was not -- well, it seemed as good a starting point as any. Strengthened in his resolve, Chancelor briskly stepped forward and began an attack. His hands tore at the roots which felt flexible and stiff, cold and viscidly warm at the same time. They seemed to shiver under his violent touch, to wriggle away in an attempt to escape the attack. For a while Chancelor wildly tore at the roots with little effect. It was then that Astax appeared to sense the young man's intention and began hacking at the particular black tentacle Chancelor was attempting to uproot. It did not take long until the raven had freed some thready strands of unnatural matter, and feverishly Chancelor began to tear away at them, diminishing the root at a pace that seemed too rapid to be possible.

For a while, raven and human alike kept up the outlandish fight, when suddenly Chancelor felt a tearing, a snapping under his labouring hands. With a hissing sound, the root-tentacle collapsed and shrivelled like a grape left in the sun for too long. Without taking the time for a sigh of relief Chancelor began to attack the next black mass, and for al moment it appeared to him as if the undertaking was, indeed, possible to be accomplished. He had worked through almost yet another root when the attack began. The dim light began to flicker, and Chancelor realised with a chill that something -- someone? -- was approaching. Then the noise began, a terrible, indescribable noise that he was sure he would never forget, envelopped him and chilled him to the core. Chancelor instinctively attempted to shield himself while perpetuating his attack on the roots. Then, suddenly, the roots sprung alive and, instead of writhing aimlessly, began to attack the attacker. Mercilessly, the lashed out and began to whip Chancelor's skin leaving the sensation of a paralysing, prickling cold alongside the warmth of a trickle of blood. Again and again th roots attacked, attempted to thrash him, wrap around him, bind him, strangle him. Chancelor kept up as good as he could but he realised that it was a hopeless fight. His only chance, it seemed, was to sever the roots. Sever the roots and be free. Sever the roots, and win.

Not entirely himself, frenzied and panic-stricken, Chancelor kept clawing at the omnipresent roots. The presence he had felt flittingly felt before now became prominent and a cackle mixed with the thunderous noise surrounding him. "You cannot win. You will never win. I bring darkness, revenge. I am revenge, and you cannot escape me!" Chancelor attempted not to listen to the voice, but it snuck into his mind, a spidery legged creature spinning an inescapable web of madness that threatened to engulf his mind, his soul, a pure evil that reached for his veins and compressed them, a presence that halted his thoughts and that screamed, wailed, cackled --

"CHANCELOR!" The darkness was shaking, the horrifying sight in front of Chancelor was shifting, a tentacle snapped, then another.

"CHANCELOR! WAKE UP!" a voice, Lea's voice, paved its way through the madness. Another root collapsed, something feel to the floor with a rustling sound. Chancelor's hand ached slightly.

Suddenly, the roots were gone and Chancelor was back in the room. It took a moment for him to adjust, but he did not have long as the door that had protected them finally gave way and a cloud of bats swarmed in, halting for a moment in confusion. Outside, much to Chancelor's surprise, the bats had stopped their relentless attacks and were now calmly sitting on the trees. Somewhere far off Chancelor thought he could make out a bat, slightly larger, writhing on the branch of a tree and then, without warning, ascending into the skies with a terrible shriek. As if this shriek had been a signal, the other bats still surrounding the hut did the same, and a living, fluttering body of bats at first darkened and then vanished into the air.

The group of bats that had broken through the door swayed indecisively for a moment, obviously unknowing how to interpret the signal given by the shriek. Their clouded, frenzied minds, however, had seemingly been broken beyond repair and, without a sound or warning, they attacked. Only a split second later, Chancelor found himself engulfed once more by bodies and wings, sharp teeth and claws tearing away at his clothes, pricking and scratching the skin where they could. Lea, similarly, was barely visible under the multitude of bodies surrounding and attacking her. Chancelor could hear her fight, could make out her movements but was, himself, too overwhelmed to be of assistance. And, just like that and without allowing the young man an option to adjust to the new situation let alone take a deep breath, the battle that had only moments ago raged in Chancelor's own mind was taken back to the physical plane.

Chancelor Aillil
Playing Character

« Reply #117 on: December 27, 2011, 01:10:25 PM »

The darkness was overwhelming, yet, Astax, the ever faithful... A smile came upon Chancelor's lips if only for a moment. It was just long enough to register that he was not alone. That was really all he needed to go on. Sighing lightly, Chancelor heaved into the murky darkness. It was more like swimming. Though his footfalls were solid, they were on nothing, and though he was still, he was weightless.

This sense of euphoria, coupled with the frenzy of chaos and darkness, was more than unsettling. It was then the familiar comfort of Astax was gone. Yet, as Chancelor looked up, he was able to pinpoint the flying point of black amongst the swirl of infinite blackness it was surrounded by. His comfort returned, Chancelor attempted yet again to distinguish between, well, anything other than himself. Then came a reviled shriek from Astax. The piercing call gave cause for Chancelor to jump slightly from surprise.

Though, as Astax landed on what appeared to be a large tangle of root system, Chancelor noticed the bird pecking and tearing, and the current root seemed to withering and in pain... This flooded through Chancelor for a moment as he looked at the chaotic mess of writhing roots that looked more like a monsters mass web for catching and controlling prey till the monster found time to "play" with it. It was then he noticed a root grabbing onto something, bright? It was a bit curious, but it seemed as good a place as any to start ripping at the roots.

It seemed impossible at first, the burning cold, the slimy dryness, of these roots were...Well, if he had seen them in any other context he would have had to take a bit or two and find out exactly what they were, but, this wasn't physical, these were something else, belonged to someone else, and it was the obvious cause of confusion and wreckage that the bats were causing.

It was not long afterwards, that Chancelor noticed Astax near, helping destroy the tangle around this globe of semi-light. As they worked at it, a new feeling of dread started creeping upon Chancelor's mind. He would need to take out everything... How could he destroy all these roots in one fell swoop? It occurred to him, that simply being able to protect himself would never be enough if he could not counter what was being done, or attack on his own.

As these thoughts filled his head, another voice filled his ears. It claimed to be vengeance. Yet, what vengeance needed to be carried out against him? To use these animals as such was barbaric. It was then the roots attacked back. This was his fear, he could keep tearing, but could not protect himself, or he could protect himself and flee, but then what good would he have done? Chancelor kept tearing at the roots, branches and other roots whipping at him and tearing into his skin. A numb paralysis taking over the muscles it hit, but the warm blood flowing could be easily felt. Chancelor was about to accept his fate, to die, at the very least, repaying his debt to Lea...

Another smile crossed his face as he remembered the fire headed elf. Her hair matched her temper, but she had always been patient with him. He could almost hear her voice even now. Chancelor stilled his mind and heart as he continued to tear, and eventually got the globe of semi-light free, yet again, he thought he heard Lea's voice.

He looked up to see Lea standing over him in the room, he was able to watch as a multitude of bats broke through the door, then a high pitched scream stopped everything in its tracks. Most of the bats, still in the trees fled, following a large fat mass, of a bat. Those inside the room seemed, not so much determined, but unsure. They had been corrupted to fight, and yet they were ordered to leave. Chancelor was not given, a moment to react before the bats left finally decided.

The attack was quick, it was ruthless, and unbearable. Chancelor searched for Lea, but saw only a flutter of black wings, with the shrill grunts of three other voices attempting to battle them off. Chancelor stilled his mind and took in a deep breath, even as he was being pummeled from all directions. He had to do something, and he knew only of the magic. He let his fury go, he would save them, if he could. He focused on the library, just a visual in the forefront of his mind, and let out the anger and frustration that was bottled up because of the situation. He could only hope he did not destroy anything important, but he didn't know what to expect. He had only reached before, only protected. He was tired, upset and frustrated. Chancelor was going to unleash it all if he could.

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] Send this topic Print 
Kingdoms of Telgard  |  The Kingdoms  |  Lirynn  |  Lirynn Wilderness  |  Topic: Up and Away (Chancelor Aillil) « previous next »
Jump to: