Kingdoms of Telgard Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2017, 02:30:40 PM
Home Website Help Login Register
News:
A worm eats corruption;

    His tentacles spread his touch.

    His shadow falls across the land

    Beneath the Ring of Lights.

New members - please see the Registering Your Account topic in the  Introduction to Telgard forum.

Kingdoms of Telgard  |  The Kingdoms  |  Seas & Waterways  |  The Telgard Sea  |  Topic: Whispers on the wind « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Send this topic Print
Author Topic: Whispers on the wind  (Read 6273 times)
GM Pestilence
(Retired)
***
Posts: 124



« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2008, 04:43:57 PM »

OOC:  Check me out, I got promoted!  Now, let's see, how to celebrate?  More mayhem and hardship for the PC's?  Perhaps...

IC:  As Taplar emptied his stomach, the crew behind him were busy with their own worries.  The few who had escaped entirely unscathed were put in charge of the prisoners, securing them with strong mooring lines in complicated knots that would only tighten if the ixit tried to free themselves.  Those with very slight wounds were ordered by the captain to staunch their bleeding fast, and see to those with more grievous injuries.

When he turned around the elf would see that many of the crew were unlikely to make it off this dead ship alive.  Two had lost an entire leg, another had been chopped off at the knees.  Two more had been felled with slashes to the belly, and were hissing in pain as they tried to hold themselves together.  The sight of the gob attack was awash with blood, both human and ixit.

Callia came over to him, holding his dagger by the blade to offer it back to him.  "The..." she closed her eyes, considering, but apparently could not find a satisfactory word for the ixit.  "The surviving pirates surrendered.  The captain has ordered those we killed disposed of, but I'll make sure we recover your arrows before they go overboard, when possible."  She looked over at the dried, dessicated ixit mage, and shuddered at the sight of the body.  It resembled nothing so much as a giant fly husk in a spider's web.  "I'm very sorry you had to do that, my friend..."
Logged

They were given power over a fourth of the earth to kill by sword, famine and pestilence, and by the wild beasts of the earth.
Taplar
Playing Character
*
Posts: 43



WWW
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2009, 08:51:16 PM »

  When Taplar's heaving finally subdued, he spat a few times trying to get the putrid taste out of his mouth.  The acidic aftermath did little to raise Taplar's mood.  Wiping his mouth with the back of his left hand, Taplar glanced behind himself to look what was happening.  Seeing all the injured, Taplar wished he had some sort of healing ability at that time.  Surely it would be more welcome than......what he had just done.  Looking back ahead of him to advert his eyes from the disaster, Taplar took a few deep breaths and concentrated on returning to a calm state.  He needed to think.

  Glancing back when Callia approached, Taplar turned sideways so he could look at her while keeping his arm in the tie line.  Seeing the dagger offered back to him, Taplar took it and held it, looking at the blade with a slight gaze.

  "I'm very sorry you had to do that, my friend..." Callia said to him.

  Absent-mindedly, Taplar wiped the blade flat against his side on both sides and stored it again before looking back out at the sea.  "Me too..." he said, taking another deep breath.  Finally unwrapping from the tie line, Taplar turned around all the way to view Callia.  "I'd appreciate that in regards to the arrows.  I'd do it myself, however right now it might be best if I gave the rest of the crew as much space as possible." Taplar explained, just before his eyes lightened up for a moment.  "Also, the ixit in the back that I......engaged...it had an object in its possession that might be dangerous.  It looked to be a stone shaped sort of like a ship.  If you find it, keep it safe.  I'd like to examine it later if possible.  For now though..." Looking up to the captain giving out orders to his crew, Taplar's frown deeped.  "...I need to see what the captain wishes for me to do."

  If Callia had no other information or any objections, Taplar would try to approach the captain.  If he was unhindered, when he caught the captains attention, he'd stand at attention and ask where the captain wanted him and what he should be doing.  He was still, after all, under the humans employment.......for the moment.
Logged

When two stones collide, the strongest survives.
No matter how strong we make ourselves, how hard we try,
we must prepare for the day that we shall shatter.
GM Pestilence
(Retired)
***
Posts: 124



« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2009, 02:56:12 PM »

The captain gave Taplar a look of equal parts horror and gratitude as he stood at the helm, watching the elf join him.  He gave a deep nod, almost a bow.  Below, the ixit captives had been secured on deck, with two of the crew who had not been badly wounded set to watch them.  Callia was plying her skills with a needle and thread, as were several of the others. 

"We'll have to do some hiring at the next port," the captain called to the crowd below.  "And hope our cargo sells well, boys!  I'll be paying pension to those of you who lost a leg, until you learn to walk on wood.  You'll be welcome to hire back on when you can," he finished, nodding to his crew with what looked like pride.  Even those currently being stitched shut let out a cheer at that.  "But our thanks goes to Taplar, the elf at my side.  His arrows were the first to draw pirate blood, and his magic saved us all from whatever horrible curse the green-skin in the back was aiming at us all," he called out.  The crew was silent for a moment, long enough for Taplar to count the suddenly self-concious beat of his heart.    Then the crew who still held weapons raised them in an impromptu salute, again cheering, but this time Taplar could understand what they said, for what they chanted was his name.

"Taplar!  Taplar!  Taplar!" they shouted.  The captain gave Taplar a look, still touched by horror, but showing more respect now, and said simply "Callia."  Taplar was left with no idea if he was to bring Callia to the captain, help her in her duties, or accept new orders from her.  When he reached her, she would be smiling encouragingly at him, and translate the speech the captain had made to the crew.

"We've been doing our best to get everyone's wounds closed.  It looks like most will make it, but some will need to be sealed with fire soon.  You don't likely have the skills to help with that, but if you could at least help us hold them down, it would be of great help.  After, we will return to your cabin.  I've taken the object you mentioned there to keep it safe."
Logged

They were given power over a fourth of the earth to kill by sword, famine and pestilence, and by the wild beasts of the earth.
Taplar
Playing Character
*
Posts: 43



WWW
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2009, 08:02:33 AM »

  As the captain spoke to his crew, Taplar's stomach ached and his eyes wanted to stray to watch the crew and see how they were reacting to whatever the captain said in their tongue.  He forced himself to stare at one of the rails of the deck and wait to be addressed coheriently.

  When the captain said his name, Taplar flinched a little then when it fell silent his fits balled up, prepairing for something.  When the crew began to chant his name, Taplar's eyes lifted and he gazed out over them.  They were happy to be alive.  They were happy he helped them stay that way.  The gods spared them this day.

  Once the captain commanded Taplar with "Callia", he nodded before turning and walking back to her.  Being told of the need, Taplar gladly provided what help he could to holding down the crew.  He did not trust his skills in the manner she spoke of.  It seemed to Taplar that his skills right now were either a maelstrom or a drout, there was no light rain.  Following all she asked of him, Taplar would continue to help Callia and follow her all the way back to his cabin or to which ever place she led him.
Logged

When two stones collide, the strongest survives.
No matter how strong we make ourselves, how hard we try,
we must prepare for the day that we shall shatter.
GM Pestilence
(Retired)
***
Posts: 124



« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2009, 11:55:15 PM »

Taplar found his latest task with the ship's crew more than a little unpleasant.  He had to assist in restraining the first man, a huge chunk of human muscle minus one leg, before the doctoring even began.  It was no easy task, and it only grew harder as another of the crewmen brought over a smoking hot saber he had heated over a bucket of pitch.  The injured man seemed mad with the pain, and he only seemed to grow stronger with fear as the remedy for this bleeding approached.

Try as he might, Taplar was unable to fully restrain his charge's arms with his slender elven frame.  Still unaccustomed to even the gentle rocking of the ship, his leverage was not at its best, and he found himself suddenly on his back and sliding a few feet away as the muscular man fetched him a blow to the chin with one elbow.  He would need to find another method, perhaps, if he wanted to do as his captain had asked. 
Logged

They were given power over a fourth of the earth to kill by sword, famine and pestilence, and by the wild beasts of the earth.
Taplar
Playing Character
*
Posts: 43



WWW
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2009, 04:47:58 PM »

  Taplar was at a loss for what he could do to help this man, and not only because of the blow to the head.  Anything he might try out of the realm of normalcy was too far beyond his confidence in his skills.  He could try to seal the wound himself, but he might set the man on fire.  He could try to ward off the entergies from the arm so he couldn't feel anything, but that might kill the arm.  His song was not strong enough to heal a wound.

  Returning to the man's side, Taplar once again attempted to restrain him.  No matter how difficult, this was all he could think to do at the moment.  No matter how many times he might be thrown off, he would not give up.
Logged

When two stones collide, the strongest survives.
No matter how strong we make ourselves, how hard we try,
we must prepare for the day that we shall shatter.
KM Pestilence
KM of Garr
Kingdom Moderator
*****
Posts: 118



« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2009, 08:04:45 PM »

OOC:  Hey man, long time no cliche greeting.  Good to see you again!

IC:  Taplar's lack of confidence in his magical skills aside, he did not hesitate to pounce once more upon the bucking human and force his arms down with all of his weight.  Blood loss assisted him here, the injured man was growing to weak to fight with the strength he had shown thus far, and the young elf was finally able to overpower him and force his arms to the deck.

  Despite a thrill of pride at managing to assist, the job was no more pleasant than it had been before.  Weak though he was, the wounded human managed a strong, full throated screech of pain as the glowing metal pressed to his flesh, scorching shut what had been a deep and bleeding gash.

  As soon as that was done, the human fell silent, his limits apparently passed as he clearly became unconscious.  Taplar was able to release his charge, muscles aching from the strain of trying to prevent his earlier thrashing, when a hand fell on his shoulder.

  "Work smarter," Callia said gently, waving at the next in line for his assistance who was just as poorly off as the first, if a little smaller.  "Use a mooring line, or even a spare bow-string, to get better leverage over their wrists, then they'll not knock you about so as you try to help them.  This one I'll help with, he's the last one in this bad of shape.  We'll go below-decks once we finish with him."
Logged

They were given power over a fourth of the earth to kill by sword, famine and pestilence, and by the wild beasts of the earth.
Taplar
Playing Character
*
Posts: 43



WWW
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2010, 10:51:16 AM »

OOC: Mmm, brain dead.  Go with the flow to get the boat moving again, Cheesy

IC:
  Taking note of Callia's advise, Taplar looked around for a mooring line or something of the like to do what she said.  He wasn't about to put his bow string against a potentially struggling object.  He would try his best to help until Callia led him off deck.
Logged

When two stones collide, the strongest survives.
No matter how strong we make ourselves, how hard we try,
we must prepare for the day that we shall shatter.
KM Pestilence
KM of Garr
Kingdom Moderator
*****
Posts: 118



« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2010, 04:38:46 PM »

OOC:  Hey man, nice to see you again.

IC:  A short length of rope provided Taplar with the leverage he needed to help hold down the next patient.  Talia meanwhile secured his legs, stealing still more force from his pained struggles, and thus the man was treated rather quickly and easily compared to before. 

Taplar realized then he was almost bone tired, the innovative and horrifying use of magic, the stress of the battle, and the gore and pain of the aftermath had really taken their toll on the young elf.  So when Talia took his hand, reminding him not to simply fall asleep on deck, and began leading him below-deck, he followed with heavy steps.

"Taplar, what was the filthy Ixit mage attempting when you... did what you did?" she asked as they came upon her room.
Logged

They were given power over a fourth of the earth to kill by sword, famine and pestilence, and by the wild beasts of the earth.
Taplar
Playing Character
*
Posts: 43



WWW
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2010, 09:21:43 PM »

  Taplar watched the emotion in the mans face.  Fear, pain; knowing what was being done had to be, but dreading it all the same.  He felt bad for it afterward, but he was glad it was the man and not him.

  Feeling suddenly more lethargic, Taplar sat back on his knees when the task was done.  It seemed ages ago since he had had a bit of sleep.  Looking around for Flail, Taplar wished for his companion as he typically did when the leaves of Faeterna began to settle upon his eyes.

  When Callia roused him from his stance, Taplar pushed himself up and urged himself to follow her, self-consciously not wanting to be a nuisance.  He didn't pay much attention as they walked, though he cursed a little to himself when they went down the stairs.

  Reaching Callia's room, Taplar wasn't to tired to notice that this was not his room.  Why was she taking him to her room?  Oh, right, she had the foci.  She wanted to show him the stone.  Startled a bit by her question putting an end to their silent journey, Taplar took a second to put his back against the wall and exhale.  "I'm not entirely sure.  My gut tell me he was attempting to do something with the water near the ship, which appeared to be his target.  I'll know more when I see the stone."

  Holding back a yawn, Taplar leaned his head back against the wall and closed his eyes.  "Though that might be best left for later.  The magic I am unaccustomed to and has worn me more than I would have liked.....along with the other things that happened." Taplar said, turning his head to look at Callia with a small smile.  "It's best to do these things with a clear head."

  Sighing, Taplar turned his head to look back towards the way they came.  "I am worried though.  I'm afraid some of the crew might still hold ill thoughts towards me.  Do you think me paranoid, or might I worry someone might steal into my room after I am asleep?"
Logged

When two stones collide, the strongest survives.
No matter how strong we make ourselves, how hard we try,
we must prepare for the day that we shall shatter.
KM Pestilence
KM of Garr
Kingdom Moderator
*****
Posts: 118



« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2010, 06:37:40 PM »

OOC:  Hey Tap, as you know I've been laboring under the curse of a computer virus.  Well, it has been purged at long last, and I have finally returned to my throne as KM Pestilence.  You may all quake in terror now >Smiley  That said, lets get some wind in this story's sails...

IC:  Tahlia looked pensive as she listened to Taplar's theories about the enemy mage's magic.  Though she made a visible effort to keep her face blank, the young male elf was able to see that his answers did not satisfy her.  That was understandable, they weren't very satisfying to himself either.  However, when he voiced his lingering worry about the crew, she gave up her attempts at stoicism at once.

"I should hope not, for their sake.  Any member of this crew with a brain in their head knows by now that you saved us from whatever vile working that gob wretch was bringing to bear against us," she all but growled.  "Anyone who raises a hand against you, sleeping or waking, will find himself dealing with the captain and all those loyal to him.  Even if someone was fool enough to risk that, they'd still need to worry about you wringing them out like a dish rag."

At this point she made an inquisitive gesture, clearly asking if he wanted to inspect the mage's foci now, or leave off on it for another time and get some rest.  Her face had smoothed to a look of quiet trust.  Whatever he decided, Taplar was sure she would be fine with his requests.
Logged

They were given power over a fourth of the earth to kill by sword, famine and pestilence, and by the wild beasts of the earth.
Pages: 1 [2] Send this topic Print 
Kingdoms of Telgard  |  The Kingdoms  |  Seas & Waterways  |  The Telgard Sea  |  Topic: Whispers on the wind « previous next »
Jump to:  


Powered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.20 | SMF © 2013, Simple Machines

RPG,D&D Library
Fantasy book reviews, news and more
Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!